Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Follow-Up in in the iPad Classroom: AirServer, Notebook, and Haiku!

In the post that follows, I address previously raised challenges with some solutions or resolved non-solutions (or at least not yet in existence!)

  1. Solved: iPad to Smartboard Projection
    • Thanks to SAR HS's Director of Tech. Integration, Avi Bloom, I now have a solution for projecting a full-screen version of my iPad onto the Smartboard. Previously, projections were reduced by nearly half the size when directed through Airplay. Now, with the use of AirServer, I can project my iPad onto my laptop, which is plugged into the Smartboard anyhow for my use of Notebook.
  2. No Existing Solution: Full-Screen on the Smartboard with the Notebook App 
    • Through a Twitter exchange, Smartboard Notebook responded to my request for a full-screen option for its app (currently non-existing) by asking that I fill out a suggestion form. Currently, there is no existing option for Notebook app's "full-screen" projection onto the Smartboard, a major glitch/drawback in my opinion. 
  3. Next Step: Haiku App's Limits and Possibilities
    • After consulting with Avi, I have a far more profound understanding of the possibilities and limits for Haiku's latest features both on the computer and on the iPad.
      • The iPad: Haiku is designed to allow students to "hand-in" assignments from any other app. IMHO, that's a tremendous strength of the app on the student's end: students can simply be in Google Docs, for example, and submit an assignment directly just by clicking "hand-in" and selecting Haiku (they're then asked to which assignment the document should be submitted). However, this strength has not yet been realized in action: apparently, the Haiku app does not yet allow for such inter-app movements.
      • Haiku: Haiku has partnered with turnitin.com, a great move for all teachers looking to collect student work and also benefit from turnitin.com's robust rubric framework and screening software for academic integrity. What I didn't know, before meeting with Avi, is that turnitin.com assignments on Haiku must be submitted through an "activity", with the sub-type of activity designated as turnitin.com. In order to fully understand the contours of such an assignment, I intend to trial this "activity" in my 10th grade (a non-iPad class) before introducing it to the iPad environement of my Freshmen. My next post will likely address this "activity" and its outcomes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment