Monday, September 8, 2014

Distillation: Some Reflections on iPad Integration (thus far)

As I wrote in my first post, my classroom was a paper-less, Haiku-based classroom prior to iPad integration.

Thus, while I've challenged myself in this blog to develop iPad-specific classroom and homework experiences, I've decided to shape my inquiry to maximize my own efficiency and avoid redundancy. Thus, I've set a few guiding principles for my own goal-setting as I embark on this journey:


  • An iPad at every desk means that each student has a word processor, internet, and a working video recorder/camera at a moment's notice. That's great!
  • If transitioning from one digital medium to another is redundant--and the benefit of interface does not outdo the cost of redundancy and time loss--then I will stay with the original medium.

With that said, I think that it's a time-saver to have a device that can immediately transition on/off (as opposed to a chromebook in a school cart). Just today, I had students work on membean.com, respond to others' discussion board posts, and still have plenty of time to transition back to a writing/seminar class setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment